THE PILOT PROJECT IS UNDERWAY!
Washington is exploring a potential gas tax replacement to fund our roads and bridges. Conducted by the Washington State Transportation Commission, the Washington Road Usage Charge (WA RUC) Pilot Project is now underway! 2,000 drivers are participating in the year-long WA RUC Pilot Project and are currently reporting their mileage and providing feedback to help state decision makers understand if this potential policy could work for Washington drivers.
WHY TEST A ROAD USAGE CHARGE?
Did you know that the current gas tax of 49.4 cents per gallon is used to fund the state’s roads and bridges? As cars become increasingly more fuel efficient and as more electric vehicles are on the road, the revenue used to support our roads and bridges will decrease more each year.
A potential solution
The WA RUC Pilot Project is testing a mock 2.4 cent per mile road usage charge for light-weight, non-commercial vehicles including gasoline-fueled, hybrid, and electric vehicles! Under a road usage charge system, you pay taxes only for the miles you drive, not how much gas you consume.
QUESTIONS THE PILOT WILL HELP ANSWER
- How does a road usage charge work for different drivers throughout the state?
- How do the reporting methods work for drivers?
- Will a road usage charge enable us to better fund our transportation system in the future?
SHARE YOUR OBSERVATIONS AND DISCOVERIES
- Because this is a test, we need to understand all aspects of the pilot’s operation including any glitches or inefficiencies.
- If you see an issue or have ideas on improvements, let us know in the Participation Resources page, by email, or by phone 833-927-4782.
- We’re keeping track of all the challenges and issues a pay-per-mile system might present and will report out on them at the end of the pilot.
- Please do not attempt to manipulate or modify any aspect of the pilot program – not only does this violate the participant agreement, it could interfere with other participants’ ability to experience the RUC system.
- We welcome all feedback – please share it!
Recruitment for the pilot project is over, but are you interested in following along? Sign up for our email interest list! We’ll send you regular updates on the progress of the pilot study.
Spread the word
Know someone who’d be interested in following along with the pilot? Spread the word!